Monday, October 06, 2008

Tim Burton Films

Updated Post on 7 October 2008, 4 September 2010


Yesterday night, I finally settled down to watch "Charlie and the chocolate factory".
I didn't expect it to be filmed in this manner and I like it very much.
Today, as I was sorting out my VCD and DVD, rearranging from this shelf to that shelf...etc.
I found many good films I've liked were actually from the same director - Tim Burton.
Wow...I am so impressed with Tim Burton talents and his unique style of creative creations.
My favourite are "Edward Scissorhands" and "Sleepy Hollows".
Watched Edward Scissorhands when I was in secondary school and from then I've watch most of Johnny Depp movies.

I've yet watched the "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet" but will be soon when I get the DVD.
Tim Burton and Johnny Depp just have that magical effects in the movies that makes all their movie so great.


Tim Burton Infos :
Full name : Timothy William Burton
Born : 25 August 1958
Family : Helena Bonham Carter (Wife) and 2 children
Written Book : Melancholy death of Oyster Boy & other stories (1996)

Film as a Producer :
1992 - Batman Returns
1993 - The Nightmare Before Christmas

1994 - Cabin Boy
1995 - Batman Forever
1996 - James and the Giant Peach

Here's a list of Tim Burton's Film :
1982 - Vincent
Runtime : 5min 52s (stop-motion short film)
Narrated by : Vincent Price
Story : About a little boy called Vincent Malloy, whom pretends to be the actor Vincent Price. He loves reading stories from Edgar Allan Poe. Vincent often detached himself from reality and was haunted by his very own delusions...

I've watched this from youtube last night.
Although is only about 6 mins in length, it still have the style of Tim Burton's creations and I like it very much.


1984 Frankenweenie
Runtime : 29 min
Starring :
Barret Oliver (Victor Frankenstien)
Shelly Duvall (Susan Frankenstien)
Daniel Stem (Ben Frankenstien)
Spark (a bull terrier)
Story : A young boy pet dog "Sparky" died when it was hit by a car. The boy tried to bring Sparky back to life using electrical currents...

After finished watching "Vincent", I searched for "Frankenweenie".
For the next half and hour, my eyes was glued to my screen.
Frankenweenie is now undergoing for remake for cinematic release.


1985 Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Runtime : 90 min
Starring :
Paul Reubens (Pee-wee Herman)
Elizabeth Daily (Dottie)
Mark Holton (Francis Buxton)
Story : Pee-wee is a grown man acting like a child. He loves his bike and wouldn't sell it for anything else...

I've not watched this movie yet!


1988 Beetlejuice
Runtime : 92 min
Starring :
Micheal Keaton (Beetlejuice)
Alec Baldwin (Adam Maitland)
Geena Davis (Barbara Maitland)
Winona Ryder (Lydia Deetz)
Catherine O'Hara (Delia Deetz)
Jeffrey Jones (Charles Deetz)
Story : A newlywed couple dies in a car cash and they return home is their sprit form. But soon, their house were sold to the Deetzes family! What could the Maitland do?

Watch this in cinema a long long time ago. Memories have practically all faded. I need to get a VCD!!!


1989 Batman
Runtime : 125 min
Staring :
Micheal Keaton (Bruce Wayne / Batman)
Jack Nicholson (Joker)
Kim Basinger (Vicki Vale)
Story : DC comic hero - Batman...

This is still my favourite among all the Batman's movies.


1990 Edward Scissorhands
Runtime : 105 min
Starring :
Johnny Depp (Edward Scissorhands)
Winona Ryder (Kim Boggs)
Dianne Wiest (Peg Boggs)
Story : Edward's creator died before he could give Edward hands...

Edward Scissorhands is my number 1 favourite among Tim Burton's film.
It was in the 1991 and still is till now. It's such a wonderful and touching story.
Highly recommended movie to watch.


1992 Batman Returns
Runtime : 126 min
Starring :
Micheal Keaton (Bruce Wayne / Batman)
Michelle Pfeiffer (Selina Kyle / Catwoman)
Danny Devito (Oswald Cobblepot / Penguin)
Story : A deformed baby that grew up to be a big villian, later known as Penguin.

If my memory serves me correct, I didn't quite like this particular movie very much when I watched it about 20 years ago.


1994 Ed Wood
Runtime : 127 min
Starring :
Johnny Depp (Edward D. Wood)
Martin Landau (Bela Lugosi)
Sarah Jessica Parker (Dolores Fuller)
Patricia Arquette (Kathy O' Hara)
Jeffrey Jones (Criswell)
Story : Life of Ed Wood, about his movies...

Brought the laserdisc of this movie a few years back.
Have not watch it though.
I wonder if my laserdisc player is still workable???


1996 Mars Attacks!
Runtime : 106 min
Starring :
Jack Nicholson (President James Dale / Art Land)
Glenn Close (1st Lady Marsha Dale)
Annette Bening (Barbara Land)
Micheal J. Fox (Jason Stone)
Tom Jones (Tom Jones the singer)
Story : Based on Topps card series Mars Attacks.

Variety of aliens. Sometimes, I get confused over who is who???


1999 Sleepy Hollow
Runtime : 105 min
Starring :
Johnny Depp (Ichabod Crane)
Christina Ricci (Katrina Van Tassel)
Micheal Gambon (Baltus Van Tassel)
Christopher Walken (Hessian Horseman)
Ray Park (stunt for headless horseman)
Story : In 1799, a police constable was sent to Sleepy Hollow to investigate a series of murders.

A fantastic horror film from Tim Burton. So many years has passed, I can still remember the "headless horseman" that sents chills down my spine.


2001 Planet of the Apes
Runtime : 119 min
Starring :
Mark Wahlberg (Captain Leo Davidson)
Tim Roth (Gen. Thade)
Helena Bonham Carter (Ari)
Micheal Clarke Duncan (Col. Attar)
Story : In a space flight crash, Capt. Leo entered into a world approx 1000 years later where humanoid apes were in control. Humans were slaves...

I'll be watching this as soon as I finished this blog post.
Oh I am so looking forward to a space ride into Planet of the Apes.
... ... ... ...
(Post additions on 07 October 2008: I've just finished watching and I think it's a nice movie. Not so Tim Burton type of style but it's still exciting and great to watch.)


2003 Big Fish
Runtime : 125 min
Starring :
Ewan McGregor (Young Edward Bloom)
Albert Finney (Older Edward Bloom)
Jessica Lange (Sandra Bloom)
Alison Lohman (Younger Sandra Bloom)
Billy Crudup (Will Bloom)
Marion Cotillard (Josephine Bloom)
Helena Bonham Carter (Jenny)
Hailey Anne Nelson (Young Jenny)

Story : Edward Bloom kept telling the same tale that his son, Will never believed in!
Have not watch this film but from the movie plots I've read on the net, it seems very touching.
Another VCD movie to buy... will updated here again when I finished watching it.


2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Runtime : 115 min
Starring :
Johnny Depp (Willy Wonka)
Freddie Highmore (Charlie Bucket)
David Kelly (Grandpa Joe)
Helena Bonham Carter (Mrs Bucket)
Noah Taylor (Mr. Bucket)
Christopher Lee (Dr. Wilbur Wonka)
Story : Only FIVE golden tickets were wrapped in Wonka bars around the world.
A Golden tickets = A factory visit in the Chocolate factory
Charlie's world will never be the same again...

Magical, heartwarming...a great movie!


2005 - Corpse Bride (also a producer)
Runtime : 78 min
Voice Cast :
Johnny Depp (Victor Van Dort)
Helena Bonham Carter (Emily, Corpse Bride)
Emily Watson (Victoria Everglot)
Story : Victor fell in love when he met Victoria. As he was practising his wedding vows, he wanders far into the forest and met the Corpse Bride...

I'm overwhelmed by this stop-motion animation film.
Visuals are great and makes me forget that I'm watching an animation film.
Characters are all so alive! Highly recommended movie to watch.


2007 Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Runtime : 116 min
Johnny Depp (Benjamin Barker / Sweeney Todd)
Helena Bonham Carter (Mrs Lovett)
Alan Rickman (Judge Turpin)
Story : A barber who grew insane over the loss of his wife and daughter...murders his customers.


2010 Alice in Wonderland (Expected to release in 2010)
(Movie pictures are copyrights of their respective owners)

Post Additions on 4 September 2010 :
I am so glad to receive an autograph from Mr Tim Burton yesterday.
I'll be posting the photo here soon...

No comments: