Thursday, May 01, 2008

SMURFS

While packing my house, I came across some toys that had accompanied me through my childhood.
As an only child, I spent my time playing with toys.
How time files... I am probably about 7 or 8 years old when I first purchased these Smurfs.
Every time when I have saved enough money for one Smurf, I would visit the store.
One by one, I brought one blue smurf on each visit.
I'm glad I still have these smurfs with me now!
Lots of remembrances.


Top Left to Right :
1st Row - Carpenter Smurf, Hiker Smurf, Cowgirl Smurf,
2nd Row - (Name Unknown), Angry Smurf, Axe Smurf, Normal Smurf, Astro Smurf,
3rd Row - Secretary Smurfette, Hamburger Smurf, Papa Lab Glasses Smurf, (Name Unknown)

Meeting with Smurfette


Smurfs at Work!


Smurfs into the adventure!!!


Papa Smurf experiments


Astro Smurf
This was the 1st Smurf I've purchased.
Which was about 20 over years ago...


Angry Smurf
A Smurf was stung by a black fly that turns his skin black, plus driving him insane. An angry smurf would bite other Smurfs on their tail and turns them into Black Smurfs.


A smurf relaxing with a drink.


Hamburger, anyone?


Mini Facts of SMURFS :
Smurfs original French name is Les Schtroumpfs.
Smurfs are adventurous, cute little blue creatures living in the woods.
Male smurfs usually wears a hat!
Smurfs live in houses that looks like mushrooms.
Created by a Belgian cartoonist Peyo (Pierre Culliford).
Smurfs made their 1st appearance in a Belgian comics magazine Le Journal de Spirou on 23 October 1958.
Making this year 23 October 2008 to be Smurfs 50th Anniversary!!!
In 1976, Stuart R. Ross saw Smufs while travelling in Belgium, made agreement with Peyo & Dupuis(Editor) and launched Smurfs in United States.
Smurf merchandise became popular.
3 Smurfs figurines : Papa, Normal and Angry Smurfs - 5cm tall were produced by Dupuis in 1959.
In 1965, a German company, Schleich mass produced Smurfs PVC figurines.
The first 3 smurfs produced were Normal, Gold and Convict Smurfs.
In 1966 it were followed by Spy Smurf, Drummer Smurf and Angry Smurf.
1969, there were Moon Smurf, Brainy Smurf, Guitar Smurf, Papa Smurf and Winter Smurf.
1970s, Smurfs was also produced by Bully, intially made for promotion for Kellogg but later was sold separately.
Smurfs figurines were also given away at petrol stations with gasoline purchases.
There are now about 400 different Smurfs figurines produced.
Smurfs cartoon has a total of 256 episodes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't even express how much I loved the smurf's as a young'un!! My mom worked as a printer and used to get regular visits from a guy who needed work done(I have no clue who he worked for) with the smurfs on it. Every time he would visit, he would leave one these little guys behind for me. I LOVED him and wanted to marry him so he could keep us well-stocked in smurfiness. Everything in my life was smurf blue (I have since outgrown that affliction), including my bedroom walls. Thanks for the glimpse into my childhood!!!!

heavenabove said...

I used to watch the Smurfs when I was little. The only toy I still have is a little Smurfette.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Smurfs!!! I haven't seen these in years. Always loved them. My husband calls me Mrs. Smurf when I have my blue cloud robe on with the hood pulled up. :D

Super post and photos!!! WOOT!!!

Hugs, JJ

Astro Galaxy said...

Hi Brutalangel
That's a very sweet guy!
Hope you'll be back here often!

Astro Galaxy said...

Hello heavenabove,
I used to watch Smurfs when I was little too. Haven't watch them for years except yesterday night when I was doing this Smurf post! I went to U-tube to watch some of the cartoons.
Cheers!

Astro Galaxy said...

Hello NatureNut,
That's really cute that your husband call you Mrs Smurf. Get him one blue robe too!
How sweet!
Thanks for dropping in.
Glad you like the photos!!!
Have a good weekend!

Livingsword said...

Wow I haven’t thought about Smurfs in a lot of years!

In my teens I had a girlfriend that was crazy about them; I remember buying her a stuffed Smurf that was very happily received….

Astro Galaxy said...

Hi Livingsword,
It seemed that giving Smurfs to girls always work out with pretty good results!!!
Does your wife like Smurfs?

Blue Fairy meets Gepetto said...

I remember whhen I lived in USA I had a friend at school who collected Smurfs, she had literally dozens of them and also had their mushroomhomes and Gargamels' house. She took all them to school for Show and Tell.

(as you can see I'm surfing all your blog, and please let me congratilate you on the amazing toy collection you have!)

Astro Galaxy said...

Greetings Blue Fairy,
I love the Smurfs mushrooms houses very much but they were way too expensive for my pockets when I was a kid...
I also sincerely thank you for your continueous support reading my blog!
Cheers!